SRSG and Terry filter overheating

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi, can anybody help me with this problem?
I just completed my first SRSG and tested it today. It seems to work fine
although the streamers it produces seem somewhat thinner than with my
vacuum gap. After a fairly short run I noticed a bad smell and it seems
that the MOVs in my filter were hot enough to melt the poly cutting board
they are on.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would like to know if there are any ideas as to how to correctly
set the safety gap on the SRSG (in terms of width of course.) The only
other thing I can think of is what if my strobe ( a modified Radio Shack
one) is not showing me the right phase. Any way to ascertain this without
being to fancy?
Thanks,
Rob Hanford