RE: Grounding of negative lead on SSTCs

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Connecting the DC negative to ground is not only done for safety, but to
reference the controlc circuitry to ground.

The reason power supplies are not ground referenced is because they are
typically built as ISOLATED supplies which allow
the use to run as ISOLATED if required.  For example, if I wanted to use
a DC power supply to bias my gate drive circuit
on the high side, I could use an isolated supply output to do this
(provided the supply has enough isolation).

Typically, however, you want to have your negative output tied to earth
ground as a reference.

Dan