Re: Primary construction

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>
 >
 > Well, the wire I'm using is an interesting story... I got 8 rolls of #32
gauge
 > from mpja-dot-com to be used to wind a *load* of small electromagnets in an
 > attempt to build a maglev. I ended up using, um... 2 of them. So I've got
 > about 3 miles of wire, and I wanted to build a tesla coil! And I've *still*
 > got almost all the wire I started with...
 >
 > Having this huge amount of wire available was one of the things that made me
 > consider making little "play-thing" size tesla coils.

All my experimental coils were made with a coil of #32 wire, 1152 turns
in a 3.5" PVC tube. With a 5 kV 30 mA NST and a 5 nF primary capacitor,
the best versions produce consistent 10" streamers. (And a lot of RF
interference. Yesterday I had to interrupt a demonstration because it
was stopping all the wireless links in a conference 100 meters away...).
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/tefp.html
By the way, I don't like thick primaries too. #18 is enough at this
power level.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz