Re: A newbie question

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Greg,

Try a concrete former for the primary if you really want a helical
primary.  Most people these days tend to use a flat pancake primary if for
no other reason than they are often easier to build.  In response to your
questions:

1: Your secondary sounds just fine with 28AWG.

2:Seek out a neon sign shop and ask for a used neon sign transformer - they
are ideal for small coils and inexperienced coilers (and even experienced
coilers!).

3: The Geek Goup Bucket Cap:  http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/bucketcap
The Geek Group MMCs: http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/MMC
"Geek Caps" to build your own MMC (recommended design chart, construction
guidelines, etc): http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc/

4: I don't think you really need to worry about someone approaching the TC
while it's energised ;)  But if it makes you feel safer somehow, then leave
an inch or two of air space between the plexi and the conductors.

Additionally I'd recommend perusing through some of the Tesla Coiling
websites.  A good start is: http://hot-streamer-dot-com
Richie Burnett has a wonderfully detailed website on the principles and
theory on TC operation and design that requires only an elementary
understanding of electronics (ie what an RLC circuit is):
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/

Cheers, and Happy Coiling!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group