Good News For My Finished MOT Powered Six Inch TC! But Nedd A Little Help Please!

Original poster: "tmoorezz" <tmoorezz-at-adelphia-dot-net>

Hello List,

     I have just got done running outside my new Six inch TC with a SRSG and
obtained 4 foot sparks, running only at 1800 watts and being quiete hummid
85% and about 70F out, that isnt too shabby. the coil preformed well but not
as well as I might have hoped, although I had no racing sparks or other
little gremlins, i really want those 10 footers. If i wanted 3-4 foot sparks
i wounldn't have bothered to finish my six incer and stuck with my 3in tc.
The power input wouldn't rise above 2400watts and then spark length wasn't
that great less than 3 feet -at- 2400watts. I had the coil set up by 8:30pm and
finished around 10:30pm. I hooked up my SRSG, 4 pac of mots, the tc and my
psu which houses a giant 45 amp variac that's way too heavy. The psu by its
self ways about 100lbs.

My setup consists of the following parts

Primary:
ID=11.5"
OD=22.5"
3/8" CU tubing spaced .5" for a total of 8 turns

Secondary:
OD=6.65"
Wound=32" with 21 awg enameled wire

Topload:
Two toroids
.25" above top windings a 19" x 6.5" toroid
and an inch above that is a
30" x 6.5" toroid

Tank Cap:
90nF -at- 35kv max

SRSG:
3600 rpm motor
6.75 od disk
8 electrodes
480 BPS max

HV PSU:
4 Pac mots HV capacitance balasted .43uf per side should limmit to 7500watts
max
and low side a variable inductor hv short circuit with out caps is 1500
watts minand  4000 watts max

Well any way I encountered some weird things happening. I started off at 240
bps with HV capacitance ballasting and low voltage inductive ballasting, the
inductor was set to min 1500watts out with out the HV ballasting I got weak
sparks. I increased to 2000 watts preformed best, I increased to 4000watts
and barley got any sparks at all and with out the inductive ballast I got no
sparks and the SRSG barley light up, the whole time the current wouldn't go
above 21 amps. What is Happening?????? When I get my PFC caps I hope to run
at 7500 and get some 10 footers, I need some help hear!!!! Next I remove 2
electrodes from the rsg disk for 120 BPS, the streamers improve, allitle
longer thicker and more steady and serpent like. but the same thing happened
when I tried to increase power by less inductance the steamers dwindled to
nothing. Again the same thing I really hope some one can help me with this,
is it because of the HV capacitance reactance or what??????? Also im having
a little problem with tuning it seems best between 5.7 and 5.3 turns.

Also when I use the HV capacitance reactance to limit power it will in
crease from 7.5kv to 9.6kv Right????????? so when I set it for 3kw the
capacitors should step it up to 9.6kv for a perfect cap match, or dose
limiting with hv capacitors not let resonance occur and that is why I am
having problems????? Should I yank out the caps and run just with inductive
ballasting on the low side???????

Any and all help is a appreciated greatly!!!!! I plan on running it Saturday
night weather permitting, so if you could help me out ASAP that would be
really awesome. Maybe if you live in the Erie PA area you could stop by and
help through some big sparks.

Nolan Moore