Re: Newbie with questions...

Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>

I've noticed two questions that came up that I didn't include. My original
topload was 4 1/2-inch copper elbow joints connected with pieces of copper
pipe about an inch long. Second, it's performance (based on what I've read)
is dismal; Currently, it shoots streamers out of three places: The end of the
top wire generates the longest, some small ones come out of the middle of the
little "topload" spiral, and a few more are generated by the last turn on the
secondary (???). The end wire streamer is about 2 inches long, and wavers
around a 30 or so degree cone.

Also, after finding that the resonant frequency is around the 700-800 Khz
range (High enough to cause the skin effect in a human), I've consistently
drawn sparks about 3 to 3.5 inches long off it with my fingers.

I think we can all agree that that's not what it should be :(. As Gary noted,
it's probably the tank cap. These are doorknob caps from TDK, each rated for
40KV (not likely to blow out on a 5KV rms transformer) and 2nF. I've got one,
with 2 more that should arrive by tomorrow. That should help greatly!

One more thing. I don't know how wise this was, but please don't hurt me :).
As I was intending this to be a sort of "demonstration" coil, that would get
moved around frequently, instead of attaching the bottom of the secondary to
a fixed ground, I put about 7 feet of wire on it and use it as a sort of
"wand." Since that end had no capacitive load on it, it currently does
nothing but form the faintest of coronas. 3 questions: Is this wise/ok/legal,
what effect will it have on coil performance (the coil does not arc any
farther to it than to my fingertip, if that helps), and is there any
substitute for an earth ground?

Thanks again!