Re: straight core transformers and chokes

Hi Dave,

What you describe is a common induction coil of the era.

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/induction_coils.htm

http://www.sparkmuseum-dot-com/INDUCT.HTM

A modern ignition coil or two for a car will easily outperform such a
device now-a-days...  Really not a Tesla coil at all, but rather a high
voltage induction coil.

If you really want to make one for the sake of nostalgia, they are really a
bit complicated to get just right.  What you need is the book "Design and
Construction of Induction Coils" by A. Frederick Collins (1908) which has
been reprinted by Lindsay publications:

http://www.lindsaybks-dot-com/

You may have to call them since I don't see it right off in the catalog
(not the most well organized publication ;-)).  You can actually buy
annealed wire right off the shelf rather than doing the back yard blast
furnace thing.  Or, you could just get modern transformer steel ;-))

PV also has a bunch of books:

http://www.arcsandsparks-dot-com/reprintpage.html

The key is getting a good long spark without blowing them up.  If they are
not made right they will arc out and fail.  E-bay has all the wire you
could ask for in smaller gauges.

Cheers,

         Terry