Re: Fried MOVs

Hi,

At 07:40 PM 9/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Yesterday I tried out a new spark gap ( an SRSG,) did something dumb and
>proved that Terry's filter works well. I noticed unusual sparking and shut
>the coil off quickly. Some MOVs had come unsoldered from the heat.

If the leads got hot enough to melt solder, the MOVs are surely destroyed too.

>I have a question- how does one know when they're destroyed? Is there a
>way of testing these?

Testing them requires a current limited power supply that 99% of us do not
have.  If the cases are distorted or cracked in anyway, they are bad.

>As for my dumb mistake, I am now a bit wiser ;^ D but I still have a long
>way to go!

The safety gaps should have fired before the MOVs.  Maybe recheck the
safety gaps too.

Cheers,

         Terry