Re: Soft transformer turn on without a variac

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Bill Vanyo <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
 >
 > I turn the power on with the variac turned down, then turn the variac up
 > to give power to the NST's.  If the breakers trip, they trip when I
 > initially close the switch giving power to the variac.  Also, I've been
 > using three 15/60s, but two of them already have internal PFC
 > (Franceformer has two 15/60 models - one with PFC, one without).
 >
 >         - Bill V.

	A large current surge when the variac is connected to the line is quite
normal, depending on the phase at which the switch or relay closes.  The
bigger the variac the lower its resistance and the bigger the surge.

Ed