Re: Where am I going askew ?

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Ed,

0.0201" is the bare wire diameter for #24. I've chosen these days to use
manufacturer data (vs. distributor data) for wire tables (Phelps-Dodge).
Also, the insulation, if single build, is 0.0012" (nominal) and measured
from the outer surface of the bare wire to the outer surface of the
insulation. Therefore, when considering the total wire diameter such as
winding a coil we have this insulation thickness on both sides, thus, the
total wire diameter = "bare diam. + 2 * ins. diam.". So for #24, the total
wire diameter is .0201+(2*.0012) = 0.0225", which if used this way in your
spreadsheet would have put you right at 1000 turns for the coil in question.

Take care,
Bart