Re: Filament help!

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 12:40 PM 10/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Wrenchead-at-starband-dot-net>
>Does anyone know where I can get a 5v 6.5A tranfo online?  Mouser has 5v 8A
>tranfo's but they are like 30$ and thats ridiculous.

$30 is not a ridiculous price for a 40VA transformer, brand new, that
doesn't happen to be a mass market size and configuration.  I'm sure that
if you were looking for a battery charger transformer (or a 6.3V filament
transformer, in days gone by), the cost for a given VA would be lower.
You'll find some transformers in the 10V range that are fairly cheap
because they wind up in "wall warts", so they are a mass market
item.  Don't compare brand new non-surplus catalog prices against what you
can find surplus.

Low voltage (<10V), high current(>5A) transformers are somewhat unusual in
modern equipment.  If you have a need for 50+ watts at low voltage, most
modern equipment uses a switcher (so you don't have to pay for all that
iron and copper, or shipping of the mass of same, in the finished unit).