Re: Terry Filter Gap Setting

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sean.s.taylor-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi all, just thought I'd add a couple comments here . . .

 > To properly set your safety gap, connect it AND ONLY IT to
 > your power supply and adjust the gap spacing until it just
 > DOESN'T fire at the full power setting of your variac.

Also, use a variac to bring up the voltage to test the safety gap setting.
Just plugging in and unplugging the transformer can cause some transients
with spikes past the normal operating voltage.  I've just used the full
power on/off and it does make a considerable difference in what kind of
distance the output will initially jump.

 > This is the correct setting, and don't be tempted to make
 > it larger if it seems to be firing too often.

Definitely true . . . cant stress this enough.  Safety gaps should be set
before a run, and the LEFT ALONE.  They should also be checked every run,
since atmospheric conditions, input line voltage, etc. will change the
firing voltage.  I've destroyed many NSTs (Im sure many of us have) trying
to get a little more length, or, as Terry likes to say, "turning it up to
11."

Sean Taylor