RE: NST power rating -- another perspective

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Gerry -

It appears I misunderstood what you were trying to measure, something I am
prone to do. You mention maximum power transfer and the Thevenin theorem. I
have used the Thevenin theorem only for  bridge problems. What does (^^2)
mean? I cannot follow your Thevenin equations but maybe Antonio, Paul N, or
some other coiler can help.

It is obvious I did not make myself very clear when I said the maximum watt
seconds from a NST would be about 25% of the nameplate rating. Refer to my
reply to John Freau. My NST tests were not with Tesla coil type loads and
were to only show what a NST would do if a series of resistor loads were
attached to the NST. That is, the tests would show that a curve made from
the data is a humped curved with a maximum at about 25% of the NST nameplate
watt rating. If instead of resistors different types of TC loads are
attached to the NST the operation gets pretty complicated. I also made these
types of RC tests which produced a set of interesting curves.

John Couture