Re: NST power rating con

Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>I saw something similar only it was footage and number of electrodes.
>  > Too short to give a meaningful reading.  Try something longer and
>  > you'll see the voltage go up.  The voltage drop per foot depends on the
>  > tubing cross section, the pressure, and the nature of the gas fill.  I
>  > can't find my "Neon Signs" by Fink, but in it he gives values for
>  > these.  The maximum length is probably determined by the breakdown
>  > voltage but I'd have to confirm that.

         Fink & Miller, P 97, Table VI
         Table is big, if anyone wants a scan...
         Factors are:
                 Tube Length
                 Fill Type
                 Tube Diameter.

         All this is ca 1935, but 'iron' transformers likely
         have not changed.

         It is Intriguing to note that the currents are
         _explicitly_ listed as 'short circuit' currents.

         (A word on measuring short circuit currents:
         depending on the circuit details, think about the
         resistance of the ammeter/milliammeter.  These CAN
         BE Higher than expected, expecially on 'milliamp'
         scales...)

         best
         dwp