RE: NST power rating -- another perspective

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Gerry -

If one watt second (one joule) can produce an output spark length of 8.5
inches can two joules produce 17 inches? That is a good question because we
can also ask what would a 10 KVA (10 KW) Tesla coil produce if we assumed
the square root law?
   sqrt(10000/120 BPS) = 9.13 watts/break x 8.5 inches = 77.6 inches spark or
6.5 feet?
This would be a controlled spark.

John Freau's equation gives
   1.7 sqrt(10000) = 170/12 = 14.17 feet
This is a random spark with unknown input joules.

It is obvious that the one joule TC input for 8.5 inches spark output may
not be extended for higher TC inputs. However, the one joule per 8.5 inch
test is a fact and is a simple test that can be easily repeated by any
coiler. This test makes more sense from an engineering standpoint compared
to the typical random spark test where the actual joule input per spark is
an unknown.

Until more coilers do the test and study the problem the answers to the many
new TC operating questions will have to wait. It will now be possible to
look at TC operation in a more informed light. The BPS or breaks per second
are also a part of TC operation that needs to be studied in more detail.

At present the real world design parameters for optimum TC operating
conditions are unknown. However, if you want to increase the spark length
increasing the input watts, secondary inductance, or TC income voltage will
help. Because of the losses the size of the TC system will limit these
possibilities.

The best way to show the TC "power" relationships is to draw the VA, Watts,
and RVA values as a right (Pythagorean) triangle. The watts as the x axis
and the RVA as the y axis. With this triangle you can easily show how a VA
can be greater than Watts. The secret is in the power factor.

In your tests you should use 100 Watts instead of the 100 VA, etc.    Watt
seconds is energy and work done while VA seconds includes circulating energy
that is returned to the source by the reactive components. To do proper
input metering you need a voltmeter, ammeter and wattmeter. This will also
give you the power factor as a decimal
   PF = watts/VA
The TC input circuit is similar to the NST test with a load that includes a
resistance and a capacitor.

When a coiler tests a NST with different resistance loads he will find that
the maximum wattage output that he will get from the NST will be about 25%
of the nameplate rating on the NST. The reason for this is that as the
resistance is reduced the NST current  increases but the output voltage
decreases (to zero). The output power (watts) will be the product of current
times voltage and will never be more than about 25% of the nameplate rating.
Coilers who say that their NST is producing 50% of nameplate watts output
are not metering their systems correctly. It is obvious the maximum power
theorem does not apply to NST's. The power  transformers that are not
current limited are another story.

In my tests of a 7.5KV, 30 ma, 225 watt NST with various resistor loads the
maximum power output was 59.3 watts (26.4% of nameplate 225 rating). The
output watts was the same as the output VA. The input watts and VA were
never the same. The input watts will always be greater than the output
watts. When I added HV  capacitors to the load the input and output
conditions changed drastically.

John Couture