Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

Original poster: Kevin Christiansen <kevinc-at-crystalcanyon-dot-com>

If you don't have a capacitance meter, try this simple experiment...

The capacitive reactance of a 4 microfarad cap is 663 ohms at 60 Hz.
The capacitive reactance of a 4 millifarad cap is 0.663 ohms at 60 Hz.

Put your capacitor in series with an AC amp meter and put that
directly accross the secondary winding of a 12 volt AC transformer.

Now use ohm's law: current = voltage / resistance (capacitive reactance).

If something like 18 mA of current flows, it's 4 microfarad.
If something like 18 Amps of current flows, it's 4 millifarad.

(In theory, you would need a stiff (beefy) transformer for the
second case, but since the cap is obviously 4 uF, just about
any 12 VAC transformer can supply the 18-20 mA required...)

Let us know when you do the experiment.

- Kevin Christiansen

At 08:54 PM 10/8/03 -0600, you wrote:
> [...]
 >
 >John,
 >
 >You might want to measure it with a Capacitance meter.  Or, time how long
 >it takes to charge and then back figure the C based on the charging
 >current. O charge it up and discharge it through a suitable power resistor
 >and calculate the RC time constant to find C. Since the cap is rated for
 >4000 VAC, it might have been used in industrial induction heating or as
 >part of a mercury or sodium vapor ballast (quite likely). Does it look
 >similar to the LK series from Plastic Capacitors? See:
 >http://www.plasticcapacitors-dot-com/typelk.html
 >
 >Here's the reality -  Based on the physical size it's definitely a 4 uF
 >capacitor. With a 4000 VAC rating, your cap can withstand at least 5600
 >VDC. If the capacity was indeed 4,000 uF, the cap would have an energy
 >storage capability of almost 64,000 joules. Capacitor technology has simply
 >not evolved to the point where you can pack this level of electrostatic
 >energy density in a package the size of a Simpson meter.
 >
 >BTW, the disruptive discharge from a 4 uF 4,000 volt cap does make one HECK
 >of a bang. A 10,000 joule discharge sounds more like a stick of dynamite
 >going off. Although your cap may "only" store 64 joules, it can kill you
 >just as dead as a 10,000 joule cap.
 >
 >Best regards,
 >
 >-- Bert --
 >--
 >We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
 >Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP
 >Technical Books. Stoneridge Engineering -- http://www.teslamania-dot-com
 >

 >Tesla list wrote:
 >>Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >>HI,
 >>Jim
 >>It is definitely MFD = 1E-3 Farad. This may be a custom cap, considering
 >>the branch of electronics this man is in. I blow up wire and precises of
 >>metal with this thing. I have to use a plate to discharge it because it
 >>destroys any resistors I try to use.
 >>I wish I knew where he got this cap from. If I did there is no drought I
 >>would buy more.
 >>I have only come up with two sources that sell similar caps 1.)
 >><http://www.plasticcapacitors-dot-com/>http://www.plasticcapacitors-dot-com and
 >>2.) <http://www.herbach-dot-com/>www.herbach-dot-com. Note: I don't think this cap
 >>came from either of these sources I am only presenting them as some
 >>indirect proof that caps with voltage and capacitance ratings do exist at
 >>around this size.  I'll see if I can post some pictures
 >>Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 >>Original poster: "Jim Lux"
 >>Almost certainly MFD = 1E-6 Farad.. i.e. microfarad. millifarad is almost
 >>never used as a unit.. microfarad, nanofarad, picofarad and micromicrofarad
 >>I've seen..
 >>Oil filled metal can really starts to look like 4 microfarads at 4 kV...

AC,