Re: eddy current with secondary coil

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Complete models for these things would allow precise calculations of
Medhurst capacitance, or of the similar capacitance seen from the
base of the third coil in a magnifier. The exact effect on the
coupling coefficient of a Tesla transformer of the nonuniform
current distribution in the secondary (and maybe in the primary too)
could be predicted.

These fancy calculations, however, are not necessary to make a system
that works very close to the optimal configuration. They just
confirm that we know what is happening.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz"

	You fail to mention that, at least to some people, the calculations
themselves provide intellectual satisfaction even when the improved
results are of no significance.  I suspect you experience that
satisfaction yourself.

	In my "radio work" I've always found that putting a few extra turns on
the coil of a fixed-tuned circuit and pulling off turns to get the
desired exact tuning is the simplest and quickest way to get there.
Same applies to cored inductors for audio-frequency filter work.

Ed