Re: Awesome Quarter Shrinking Capacitors on EBAY

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Mark,
I was confused about if it was micro or Milli when I first got it; in
response to this I asked the man on the first opportunity I got. He stated
that it is 4 millifarad and added for further clarification " 3 decimal
points". I don't suppose any of you know a man with a last name of Rutledge
- (name might be spelled wrong.)
  Cheers
John

Original poster: Mark Broker

John, an "m" or an "M" always refers to micro. The standard units for
capacitors are Farad, microfarad, and picofarad. Nano and especially milli
are rarely, if ever, used. I always wondered why cap manufacturers
couldn't use "u" for micro - it looks close enough to Greek "mu" and is
certainly much less ambiguous than "M".

I think most of us have stories of EEs showing their ignorance in front of
the AAS techs.... And I have no problems admitting that I've been on both
ends more than once. ;)

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group