Re: Odd coil behavior

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

If you are using an MMC, perhaps you are reaching the
end of your rope on the "self-healing" feature, and
your cap is becoming intermittent.

More likely your RQ gap needs to be cleaned and
re-gapped. Polish the sparking surfaces with fine
sandpaper, then re-gap. It is a tedious process, which
is one reason why I abandoned the RQ gap in favor of
the Gary Lau-style sucker gap.

Cheers,

Greg

 > Original poster: Chris Roberts
 > <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >

 > Hi Everybody,
 >
 > My coil has been running for quite a while with no
 > problems untill
 > recently. I never changed anything so it's not
 > something new that's the
 > problem. The coil used to run moderately consistant
 > the entire time but now
 > it will run great for a while, then fizzle out and
 > give almost nothing for
 > several seconds, then pick back up for a little
 > while, etc. I would think
 > that this would be inefficient quenching that is
 > causing this, but I
 > haven't changed the spark gap for as long as it's
 > been on the coil. The gap
 > is a RQ style with a vaccum on top that draws air
 > through slits in the
 > container and between the gaps. Any ideas on what's
 > going on?
 >

 > -Chris

=====
Gregory R. Hunter