Re: potential transformer question

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
>Hi all. I came across a 3kVA 14.4kV potential transformer (expensive, but
>looking for something I can run continuous without watcing the timer or a
>bunch of nst's paralled or a heavy oil-filled pig). Anyone know how much
>voltage these put out before self-destructing? Was aiming for 500v in with
>4x the regular current limiting to get 60kv, 60 mA out (slight overload).
>I know these have 110kv bill rating but isn't that a dc hi-pot test? How
>far can these be pushed kVA wise? It's encased in plastic and I'd hate to
>melt it off.
>
>.

Mike,

Depending on the design margins of your particular transformer, you may be
able to raise the LV side to 140 - 160 volts without encountering core
saturation. However, you'll eventually reach a point where the LV winding
current dramatically climbs even when no load is connected to the HV side.
Once the LV winding current begins climbing significantly, further
increases merely cause (over)heating of the primary and core with little
corresponding voltage increase on the HV side. And you'll definitely
saturate the core long before you reach 500 volts on the LV side.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
-