Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

 > Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Jim,
 >
 > It was before the lab fire, probably what caused it.  Found it.  Cheney,
lab
 > fire, Mar 13, 1895.  Say's Tesla was working on a way to produce LOX
 > comercially, work destroyed in the lab fire.  Two of the patents filed
after
 > CS (1900) described gaseous cooling of underground conductors with liquid
 > air.
 >
 > What is the date of Linde first doing it?
The patent was issued 5 June 1895, according to the Linde AG website...

However, further research shows that that was for liquefaction of air... as
far as actual liquefaction of the component gases, separately, it appears
that in 1877 Cailletet and Pictet, separately, were liquifying oxygen.
Pictet came up with the cascade cooling and heat exchanger thing, later used
by von Linde. I also saw a reference to one Zygmunt von Wroblewski in 1883
who was liquifying oxygen on the way to liquefaction of hydrogen.

Dewar did his thing in 1892.
von Linde did his thing starting with refrigeration in 1870 or so, and his
patent was for the first "continuous liquefaction" process.. the previous
schemes were "batch oriented"..(compress a tank of gas, cool it in dry ice
and solvent, expand it through a needle valve.

In 1902, George Claude developed the piston expansion method (much more
efficient than the Joule-Thompson expansion valve approach used by von
Linde), eventually resulting in a company called L'Air Liquide  (aka Airco
here in the US...)