RE: Flyback Transformer Boards - Any interest ? ? ? ?

Original poster: "Craig Fuller" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

In my experience, removing the shims made the circuit work much better.
Leaving them in keeps the core cooler by preventing saturation, but (I
think) it wastes power through stray inductance.  My transistors (2 x
MJ11032 in a push-pull design) stayed cooler longer, and the output was
much better.  This also reduces the resonant frequency which in turn makes
the transistors even happier.  The only problems I found is that the lower
frequency tends to make the core sqeal rather loud, and the core tends to
heat up.
I'm not sure what you mean about the output not beign sinusoidal because
this circuit seems to produce a beautiful, near perfect sinusoidal output.
There is also a wonderful application note for electronic fluorescent
ballasts that is basically describing these very circuits (take a look at
figures 8 and 9)

http://us.st-dot-com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/3706.pdf

Maybe this would be a good piece of reference material to help you decide
how to design the circuit.  I personally have been trying to convert my
self-starting, self-tuning, push-pull circuit to an analogous version using
a half bridge.  I found another application note that does just this, while
also reducing the complexity of the circuit by using a complementary pair.
What I mean by reduced complexity is that no center taps are needed, and
only a single resistor is needed for startup. That note is no longer posted
but I have a pdf of it if anyone is interested.