From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 1:29 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST power rating con

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>
  >
  > The more I look into this the more proof I get that the actual power
  > available from an NST is only half of the face plate values' product,
i.e.

  > P =(V x I)/2
  >
  > It's the only way I could get this to work out:
  >
  > http://www.users.bigpond-dot-net.au/broken.trout/Rotary_eqns.pdf
  >
  > Also it gives an extremely close value (+10%err) for spark length when
half
  > the secondary VA is used for P in: L = 1.7sqrt(P) for my coil.
  >
  > I think the +10% length measured is due to the primary cap being resonant
  > with the NST, and a slightly too wide spark gap.
  >
  > Why is this con(fidence trick) by NST manufacturers not mentioned on any
  > Tesla coil design web sites (that I've seen)?
  >
  > It's almost as bad as the *peak music power* con used by cheap audio gear
  > manufacturers.
  >
  > Tom L.

	Not exactly correct.  With a pure resistive load the power output limit
is as you say.  With a resistive/capacitive load as in TC applications
the power can be very much higher than the product of name plate
open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current.  I've never seen an NST
rated in watts.  Has anyone else?

Ed