Re: Question

Original poster: Dave Lewis <hvdave-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Emmet.

Sounds like your right on track for a 1st coil project.  I wouldn't
worry too much about "optimizing" anything.  Your Xfmr will put out
enough power to get some sparks for sure.  They may not be the longest
ones but who cares.. its your 1st coil.

I'd concentrate on just doing something really straight forward.  Copy
as much as you can from other people's websites.  I'm not a expert but
I'd offer these suggestions.

1. Search for a "RQ" or "Richard Quick" gap in the pupman archive.  You
will uncover many details about how to build your own.  Either build one
of these or improvise to get something as close as you can with what you
got to work with.  Don't worry too much about doing it "exactly" like
someone else.

2. Use a $3 piece of 4 inch aluminum dryer duct bent in a torroid for
your top load.  Tape the ends with aluminum tape or whatever tap you
got.  It doesn't need to be pretty, the electrons dont care about your
workmanship.

3. Use some heavy gauge wire #12 or bigger for the primary.   Go with a
flat spiral design.   Check out the JAVATC program to figure out how
many turns and such.

4. Check out the JAVATC program for sure.  You can dial in your design
with it.

5. Build the thing so its easy to move stuff around, ie raise/lower
secondary, change primary taps, adjust the gap, etc.  Tape and hot glue
work great!   Don't try to go for that "polished museum" piece look, go
for ugly but easy to work on.

6. Most importantly.. BE CAREFULL !!.  Exercise EXTREME DISIPLINE when
working with your coil.   TURN POWER OFF every time you touch it.  Make
this a ritual and NEVER get sloppy.   The biggest mistake you could make
is hurting yourself.

7. Have fun.

Good Luck
Dave Lewis