Re: Terrified Parents

Watch out on those statistics...
You're citing overall rates, but what you need is data on exposure.  Yes,
there were several hundred deaths due to electrocution from consumer
electronics, but there were also hundreds of millions of exposures, so the
rate per exposure is quite low (probably in the 1 in a million area, just
like being hit by lightning).

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of tesla coils.  There have been
deaths due to tesla coils, and, because the total number of people doing it
is probably in the tens of thousands, considered in bulk, tesla coiling is
probably 100 times more dangerous (on a people exposed per year basis) than
using consumer electronics.

Gosh, something like 15 people a year used die from electrocution from using
a hairdryer in the shower (special kind of stupid there!), which is partly
why they all have GFCIs built into the cord now.

I would mention chainsaws... (don't tell parents about this, though...
chainsaws are scary and emotional). They're a useful tool, but potentially
quite dangerous (lots of energy, whirling blades of maiming and death, etc.)
My in-laws live in a rural area, and when fall comes, the local emergency
room dreads it, because they KNOW that they're going to be getting a lot of
chainsaw injuries.  Not from the professionals who use chainsaws every day,
but from the guy who fires up the saw once a year.

The point of the latter is that not only do you have a "# of people exposed
to the hazard issue" (consumer electronics) but you also have a frequency of
exposure issue (hairdryer every day vs chainsaw once or twice a year), so
you can't just look at number of units sold/in service for statistics.