Mini VTTC success

Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Wrenchead-at-starband-dot-net>

Hi,
Today, I was messing around with some subminiature pentodes, 5784WB's and I
decided to try a little vttc circuit,  I wound 30 turns of 24AWG on a 1.5
inch form, taped around it, and pulled it off the form,  I hooked that to
the plate of the tube, and from B+ to the tube, I put a 120uh inductor, I
had a 10 turn single ended coil that went to G1 of the tube, G3 went to
ground, and G2 went to plate.  When I fired it up, it could light up a neon
bulb pretty well,  and an entire fluorescent tube, though G2 started to
glow red ;-)  I then decided to try it with a common pentode the 50C5, I
got better results, the tube was brighter, though the 50C5 did get hot to
the touch, and the plate started to look the slightest dark red, no visable
plasma discharges though, just STRONG RF, you can see the 'dotting' effect
in the fluorescent tube from the RF, it lights up the tube from pretty far
away,  I could probably build a few of these which could run off batteries,
and would probably fit in a small box, say an Altoids mints tin?  Is there
any interest here?  Make me an offer.  For pictures, or an MPEG, email me
privately...

Regards - Jim Mitchell