Re: Test tubes for salt water cap?

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "J Dow" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>Consider the surface area of 6 beer bottles. If I remember correctly that
>should add up to a 4-6 NF capacitor. That's really small. How many test
>tubes would it take to amount to 1 beer bottle? My guess is that in the
>end you would need a large number of tubes to do the job.
 > I found that large wine or champagne bottles do great. 7-10 of them
 > for a 15/30 NST.

Plus:

1) The walls of a beer bottle are somewhat thicker than that of a test
tube; assuming similar glass, the voltage at which you could operate would
be lower.  (If the glasses had a similar dielectric constant, however, the
thinner glass would give a greater capacitance - am I right?)

2) Most of the test tubes that I've seen wouldn't be able to take the same
depth of electrolyte as a long neck beer bottle (they are not as tall),
thus reducing the surface area and thus the capacitance.

For those of us old enough to do so, stick to beer (or Champagne) bottles -
at least you can make use of the contents first ;-)  (For those not old
enough, there are always lots of kind volunteers who could empty the
bottles for you).

Of course, NT used Champagne bottles.  Ah, the high life...

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy