Re: prime time ready tesla coil?

Hi Larry,

At 05:29 PM 11/23/2003, you wrote:
>a consumer version of a tesla coil seems to have
>several obstacles to make it non rf offensive.
>most people dont have a separate ground to tie into
>for tesla use.  I'm not even touching the ozone potential, yet.

Perhaps a counterpois.

>For a suitable ground, could you tie the earth ground on a terry filter
>to a large C, large R to house ground ?  My thinking would be the large C,
>large R
>would safely drain the filtered frequency from the coil to house ground.
>A safety gap ground is quite another story. perhaps skipping a safety gap?
>or a rotary gap instead? (does this not keep the voltage more stable?)

You would have to ground the large R and C to a good RF ground...

>then preventing the transmission of 100-200khz signal could be prevented
>with a
>faraday cage of window screen.  possibly enclosed with plexiglass to
>prevent ozone in the
>environment.  wonder how long the plexi would hold up in a high ozone
>environment?

Not long.  Bill Wysock's model 13 had a big plexiglass rotary enclosure
that the NOx compounds chewed up:

www.ttr-dot-com

>I know you are not supposed to connect the rf ground to house ground for
>obvious reasons.
>I had heard there is a large tesla coil in fryes electronic store in
>california somewhere.
>it is enclosed and it runs while the store is open.  Perhaps they have a
>earth ground
>run to it.  But that coil must be shielded well enough for the store to
>trust running
>it with 10's of thousands of dollars of electronics near by and perhaps
>even on the same
>circuit as it.

It's details are at:

http://www.ttr-dot-com/Fry-coil.htm

http://www.ttr-dot-com/its_model9.html

>does the large rc protection scheme mixed with a terry filter sound
>acceptable?
>perhaps a spice sim would help.  what is an allowable ground differential?
>no less than
>a few volts i would guess.

Spice will not help on such things.  But check the links above.

Cheers,

         Terry