Re: Overhead Transperency Cap

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "margaret louise" <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
 >> ..
 >> http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla/tc-small.htm
 >
 > i looked at your site, now correct me if im wrong:
 >
 > in between the 2 "terminal" pieces of alfoil, just have 10 layers of : 1
 > foil 1 transperency, 1 foil 1 transperency...........?
 > Did this give the 8 nf capacitance and the 2kv a sheet?

No, with <=2kV a sheet, one full stack gives the desired 12kVpeak rating,
which is the first goal of the design. The capacitance comes out as
~0.6nF.

Inside the plexiglass "tank" photo on the above page there are multiple
such 0.6nF 12kVpk "capacitors" piled up on each other (placed in parallel
that is). Just so many as to reach the required 8nF. Must've been 13..14
of 0.6nF/12kVpk stacks piled up.

That makes 140 transparency and alu foil sheets in total, I'd guess, for
this particular cap.

Individual 0.6nF/12kVpk capacitor stack piling of course not like this

    ----------------
+  ***********    -
--------------

but like

    ----------------

cheers,
  - jfw

--
  high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla
  jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi - Jan.Wagner-at-cern.ch