Re: New NST failure mode

 > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >

 > Must have been the latter.  Did the bolts turn while you tightened the
 > nuts?  A couple of times I've had good luck repairing this sort of thing
 > by melting the tar (hope yours is tar encapsulated) away from the inside
 > of the insulator and splicing the broken wire.  Usually the break occurs
 > right at the connection to the bolt.  Melting is done with a combination
 > of a hot air gun and a 500 watt soldering iron.  Smelly but easy to
 > control and clean up.
 >
 > Ed

I wish I knew.  I wasn't looking for this.   It would be too bad that they
didn't key the insulator so the bolt could not turn (if this is indeed what
happened).  I will probably try to melt the tar from the NST using a heat
gun (heat shrink type) or try to bake in in the oven at low temp.   Any idea
what temp the tar melts at??

Gerry R
Ft Collins, CO