Re: tesla coil current

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:02 AM 11/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>Hi Jim,
>I know your referring to one of Joule's laws where P = I^2*R. Calculate
>the Resistance of the entire secondary circuit at resonance. Input the two
>known variables and solve for I.
>This can only give me the maximum current , assuming no losses, but it is
>evident that we are dealing with 19th century technology, a finicky system
>at that, and to assume is to make math useless.
>The reason for this inquiry was to have a basics to form a estimate of
>minimum resistance needed in a high voltage probe in order to get
>reasonably accurate results.

IF you want to measure voltages on the top load, the way to do it is with
an E field probe.  This is fairly easy to calibrate, as well (you can use a
test signal generator to drive the system at low voltage with enough
current to allow use of a standard meter to measure the topload voltage).

>I guess the current would in the area of 50 uA RMS . I am very unsure of
>this and seeking the advice of people that have been building coils , in
>some cases, longer then I've been alive.
>Thanks,
>John
>P.S Jim, I happened upon your site and it now resides in my Favorites

Thanks.