Another MMC question...

Original poster: Koen van den Berg <cerberus_rex-at-planet.nl>

Hi there everybody,

I have yet another question about my MMC. After laboriously making a very
eye-pleasing and neatly soldered MMC with my 100 caps (see my last question
for details) I do believe I know whether or not the concept works. You see,
it doesn't. More than twelve caps went up in smoke (ruining my Lexan!),
which made me realise that these were indeed not suitable for TC use. So
it's back to the drawing board. I still have one relatively inexpensive
option. I can use 23 Farnell 440 VAC 680 nF caps in series to get 10120 VAC
total string voltage and 29.5 total capacitance. These are polypropylene
capacitors, and they should be suited for TC use, based on info from the
data sheet. However, there is one thing that could be a problem: the caps
are rated at 250 V/us max! I read somewhere that I shouldn't use these for
an MMC, as only capacitors rated at 1000 V/us will suffice. Will using
these caps result in absolute failure or more Lexan destruction, or can
will it still be better than what I am using now (which is a very large
ceramic capacitor MMC)? Please help...
Thanks in advance & happy coiling,

Koen