Re: strength of vacuum

The phrase you'll see a lot is ALARA (as low as reasonably attainable)..
Lots of dispute about whether small doses of radiation are cumulative. Large
doses certainly are.  A lot has to do with how fast your body repairs the
damage.

Rads are an obsolete (but still commonly used) measurement based on how much
energy is in the particles, in terms of ionizing air to a certain degree.
Few high energy particles or lots of low energy particles could calculate
out to the same rads.  REM -> roentgen equivalent man (mammal) attempts to
compensate for the different effects of different energies by multiplying
the particle flux by a RBE (relative biological effect).. Thermal neutrons,
for instance, have a RBE of 20.   Rad(Si) has to do with ionizing silicon.

The Gray and Sievert are the new units.

Curies have only to do with how many particles are produced in a unit of
time (or more properly how many disintegrations in a substance). 1 Ci is the
amount of disintegrations in 1 gram of Radium.  The typical smoke detector
has 1 microCi of Americium 241, and will have 27,000 disintegrations per
second. The particles given off are alpha, with an energy of about 5 MeV
(which, by the way, is really zipping for an alpha).  So, to calculate dose,
you could figure out how many of those particles you will intercept (they go
out in all directions, right?), multiply by the RBE for alpha particles at 5
MeV, and so forth.

In any case several millirem per year isn't anything to worry about, since
that's the kind of dose you get from cosmic rays, the potassium 40 in your
bones, the U and Th decaying in the rocks underneath you and in the
concrete, etc.  Move to where Terry lives, and your cosmic ray dose
increases somewhat because there's less air.  Ride the Concorde a lot or fly
the U-2, and it's a potential problem.