Re: RF field strength - SSTC coils

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 > Dan,
 >
 > It seems that maybe since you use a signal generator to feed your SSTC, you
 > are slightly out of tune and this causes your coil to radiate so much
 > power.  My SSTC does not give me any zaps or anything when i touch ground,
 > even with a 14" spark firing off of it.  Its a feedback driven coil, so its
 > always perfectly in tune.  Maybe thats your problem?

Shouldn't the radiated power be highest at resonance? As the secondary
draws the highest power there... Same for an antenna fed by a tuned tank,
transmit power is max at resonance. Of course, when there's no streamer
breakout, more power is radiated, but this isn't related to the drive
being in-tune or not. ?

But anyway, it would certainly be interesting to know whether or not a
1..10 kW SSTC could exceed the FCC specsed SAR of 4W/kg (6 minutes
exposure?) in typical spectator distance. Not that there are any effects
noticeable, in practice, though... ;-)

regards,
  - jfw

--