Re: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wysock-at-ttr-dot-com>

To Boris, Malcom, Peter, Terry, et.al.,

This is my first post to the List in perhaps more then one year.  I have tried
to follow this particular "thread" ever since its first appearance.  What I
want
everyone to know is that the article I wrote (about 13M) which appears on my
web site, was written in 1995.  Since then, I have had only one opportunity to
set this system up and do any kind of tests/measurements (that was in
November, 1995).  13M has only been set up and made operational one
time since 1995 (which was for a Sun MicroSystems convention at Anaheim,
California in 1998).  That was a special effects job and there was no time to
make any further measurements/experiments.

Today, 13M is alive and well (albeit that it is in storage).  What I would
like to
do is to be able to set this system up, make the improvements I mentioned in
my article on my web site, and invite anyone from this List, to have an
opportunity
to make their own measurements/observations.  That may happen some day, I
just can't say when yet.

As anyone familiar with real estate in Southern Calif. knows, space is very
expensive
(even rented space).  I no longer have the "luxury" of being able to set up 13M
at the AM broadcast transmitter site (as shown in the 13M pictures).  That
station has
been sold twice since 1995 and is now owned by Disney-ABC.  I no longer have an
"in" there because of this.  Now I will have to find a new location.  Even
working with
a very knowledgable crew and all the right assembly tools (crane, man-lift,
etc.), it
takes the better part of a full day, just to set this system up.

One of the main difficulties in finding a good place to operate 13M is an
appropriate
RF ground reference.  At the time (back in 1994-95), when I was operating
(at what
was KRLA-AM), I had full access to the extensive copper ground plane which
served
as the counter-poise for the 5-tower phased array antenna system.  It
proved to be
ideal.  At Anaheim, I had access to a 10" copper water main that was the
primary
fire suppression system that ran through the stadium.  This was not as good
an RF
ground as at the AM transmitter site, but we made do with it.  The point
here is that
the amount of RF current generated by 13M cannot be handled by a single 8 foot
ground rod driven into moist soil; its absolute ground impedance would still be
too high for such an application.

I know there are many more tests/observations that needs to be made with 13M.
I hope that this may be done some day in the future.

Best regards to all,
Bill Wysock.