Kickback suppression in twin coils

Original poster: "Richter, Rick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rick.richter-at-hp-dot-com>

         Hi,

         I'm new to the list and I've got a question about running twin
coils. I'm thinking primarily of driving ignition coils or flybacks, but
I'm wondering if the question also applies to twin tesla coils. I've
searched most of the archives and couldn't seem to find a definitive
answer, so I thought I'd ask the group.

         Here it is. I want to know if running two coils in an
anti-parallel confuguration reduces the "kickback" effect that seems
harmful to the coil's driving electronics (whether it's the neon
transformer, the cap bank or a MOSFET). It would seem to me that the surges
induced in each coil and fed back through each coil's primary winding would
tend to cancel each other out since the kickback waveform from one coil's
primary would be inverted with respect to the other coil's primary. Am I
completely missing the point here, or would minor differences in each
coil's construction be enough to cancel out this effect? I'm sure someone
has analyzed this and reported the results, I just haven't been able to
find the information though. Any help would be appreciated.

         Thanks in advance,

         Rick