RE: Top load smoothness matters

Original poster: "Mudford, Chris by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>

The Captain

Is this to say that a spun aluminium toroid would require wet and dry
sanding to a near perfect surface?  My spun toroid has small lines
around it and I get many simultaneous streamers, even with a break out
point there will be several over shorter streamers.

Cheers, Chris (NZ)

Yes, this is true.  This is the reason your mini-coil put out very nice
continuous streamers.  (See Terry Blakes DVD) I used originally a John
Freau toroid for my minicoil and the result was many simultaneous
shorter streamers as you mentioned with most streamers eminating from
the seam in the toroid.  However, when I switched to a homemade shipping
crate shock mount (identical to your toroid) and covered it with
aluminum foil making it at smooth as possible, i started getting those
long, self-sustaining continous streamers that you were getting with
yours.

The Captain