Ryobi Bench Top Grinder ??

Original poster: "Lannis, Ryan (Ryan) by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lannis-at-lucent-dot-com>

Hello All,

	I want to build a new Spark Gap, I have been considering a
Synchronous Spark Gap.  I was looking for a cheap motor when I thought of
Bench Top grinders.  Home Depot sells a cheap $40 Ryobi 6" grinder that
claims to run at 3600 RPM, here is a link.
http://www.ryobitools-dot-com/product/product.asp?prodid=136&prodcat=4&toolcat=3
Does it seem odd that the grinder motor runs at 3600 RPM?  By using two
spinning disks, would this help quench the Spark Gap better than one
spinning and one or more stationary gaps?

	Does anyone see a problem with using this?  Is Axial play an issue
with bench top grinders?  I was considering using Lexan for my disk, I know
it my be a little more expensive than other materials but it looks real
nice!  Is there anything I should keep in mind?  I was told to calculate the
weight (in pounds) of a piece of Lexan use (0.0433 * Volume).  6" disk -at- .5"
thick = .6 pounds (without electrodes, without shaft hole computed).  6"
seams a little small to me should I go bigger?

	One more thing, What makes tungsten electrodes so desirable?  It
seams that they wear rather quickly.  There is a great example of wear on
Terry's web site http://www.tb3-dot-com/tesla/hugecoil/powerup2/powerup2.html.
Why not use stainless steel?  Does it get too hot?

I know the knowledge is out there.
Thanks for reading.
Ryan Lannis