Re: Simulation of a conventional Tesla coil

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Terry (& all)-

Thanks for the heads-up on gap resistance.  Oh yes...2-3 ohms kills my
"Marx" scheme for sure.  With a revised simulation and only 40 m-ohms
total around the loop, I get 200 KV out at 125 KHz and with 115 V 60 Hz
in.  But 2-3 ohms per gap?...forget it!  I'm glad it's mostly only in
simulation so far.  I'd started to build part of it for testing but
thought better of it before going very far.

With a 2:500 turns ratio, 45 mH-secondary simulation, I get 3 KA peak gap
current so perhaps that would be feasible for IGBTs (6 of them in the
Marx scheme).  I think it would be, also, for Triacs since the way I have
it configured now, going back to the switched mains-sine-wave I'd started
with, there's a period of ~4 ms between 60-Hz half-cycles where gap
voltage and gap current are zero at the same time.  Thus, Triacs would
shut off each time as required.  With 2 primary turns, however, the mains
current is wimpy: just 7 A or so.

But with a 1:500 ratio I get 8 KA peak at the 1st 1/2 cycle dropping to 4
at the next 1/2 cycle.  There's a 2 1/2 ms shut-off time-period and the
mains current is 17 A rms at 115 V--about right for me.  Perhaps still OK
for Triacs.  But I doubt I'll ever make it to hardware.  Anyone else want
to try?

That extra mains current goes into the duration of the Fr oscillation and
not the peak voltage which is not much higher.  Sparks louder but not
longer??

Tell me more about the ohms per gap.  Is that ohms per 1/4"-or-so arc, or
ohms per arc + hardware, or... what?  And what, I wonder, would be the
resistance of a 0.03" gap--with negligible hardware resistance?  That
might well be a lot better.

Thanks for the correction on the SIMetrix URL; I'd forgotten that they'd
changed.

There's about 50 KV difference in the voltage, either side of the 200K
resistor; thanks for that reminder, too.

Ken Herrick