Re: Magnetizing current in SSTCs, my previous posting

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

>  I have a matlab model, and a pspice model if you want to play with it.

Yes please (pspice that is because I don't have matlab)

>  M is a better way to look at it, but as you said, the sparks might like
> quicker rise times alot more. I could get a great M by lowering the
> coupling to .01 and using high impedance primary system, but the rise
> time would be horrible.

It doesn't work like that. The bigger M is, the faster rise time you should
get for a given inverter circuit pushed to its transient thermal limits. M
is like "pulse performance per unit silicon". In the above example, using a
high impedance primary will reduce I^2 but it will also reduce the energy
transferred because the load on the inverter is less. so M will probably
stay the same if not get smaller (worse)

M is actually in ohms and 1-(Rds(on)/M)= efficiency of inverter circuit

>You could also get higher values for m by using mini coils (1/2 energy/1/2
>current^2). Although M is a good starting point, there could be some
>improvements.

If you can think of any (especially if you think my theory is wrong) please
go ahead

>How did you come up with 23?  I get 0.2/(380^2*25e-6)=0.055

That's what I get for dozing through "Using Your Calculator 101"

Steve C.