Re: Magnetizing current in SSTCs, my previous posting

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

I'm working with another simulation involving my Marx-like notion of
resonating 6 large capacitors in parallel directly from the mains, then
discharging them in series via triggered spark gaps through the
equivalent of a 1-turn resonant primary.  I've put in my sub-circuit
simulating the fixed-inductance, adjustable-turns-ratio secondary while
at the same time tweaking the primary and secondary resonances to be the
same (with 0.2 coupling).  That works very nicely in simulation but I get
only 120 KV peak out of the secondary, for mains voltage of 115 ac and 30
m-ohms of primary resistance.

The interesting thing I note, however, (and this may already be obvious
to spark-gap experts) is that the peak is reached at the 3rd 1/2 cycle.
So that would appear to be how spark-gap coils work in general, with
their damped-wave primary currents: the zap invariably commences at or
before the 3rd half-cycle.

Oh how I wish that working with real hardware were as much as 1% as easy
as this...

Comments?...

Ken Herrick