Re: VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw! 240 V into the 120 V

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

>Very funny (but true) If you pump more than the rated voltage into a power
>transformer then the core just saturates and the transformer starts
>looking like a short circuit. So in the few seconds before your setup
>incinerates, you won't get much more than 14.4kV :( Otherwise we'd all be
>doing it! Of course if you double the frequency, you can double the
>voltage too with no saturation troubles. But good luck getting the power
>company to bring a 120Hz supply to your house :D
>
>Of course, potential transformers are an exception, they are built with a
>bit of headroom to read overvoltages accurately. The nameplate voltage is
>about 57V but everyone overdrives them to 120V.
>
>Steve C.

All I can say is that I ran the system like this over 10 occasions last
season, and the runs were anywhere from 30 seconds to over 5 minutes at a
time, and the transformer was still ice cold. The ballast early in the
season was set to 25 amps, and later in the season, I ran a new circuit and
increased the current to 35.

cya,
Gregory

--