Re: VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw!

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

There are many coils similar to yours - check out Greg's Garage on
http://hot-streamer-dot-com.

Seemingly large caps with MOTs are not out of the ordinary by any
means.  Keeping the primary surge impendance high is the trickier part.  It
would be my recommendation that you spend the money on a higher inductance
secondary instead of the 1/2" copper primary.  The majority of the losses
are in the spark gap, not the primary winding, afterall.

The Geek Caps will survive your punishment without even a yawn.  :)  3
strings of 5 big caps (.150uF each) gives .090uF, and 4 strings of 6 gives
.10uF.  The smaller MMC would handle about 25ARMS, and your coil at 500BPS
with this cap would run about 17ARMS.  It'd also be less expensive ;)

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

On Thu, 08 May 2003 21:46:16 -0600, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Hi all,

<snip>