VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw!

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi all,

I built a 4 pack MOT supply and it works ok.  There is no limiting besides
the wires that come from the 240V outlet.  But thats not so
important.  This coil is running with a static sucker gap, and only about
.0475uf of capacitance.  In this scenario, the arcs SCREAM!  It sounds like
1000bps or maybe more!  The sparks are WHITE and hot when the arc to the
ground.  But, the coil is dissapointing with only 6-6.5 feet of
spark.  Also, the sparks will start downward, and end up vertical in the
air!  This is common for high BPS i guess.  But, i want about 9 feet or
more, so i need to lower the bps.  So, im thinking of making the cap in the
.09 to .1uf range!  I know, this is HUGE.  Right now, im using 13 turns on
the primary (7"ID  23"OD
.25" cu) with a 6.5"x36" 24awg secondary and a 4.5"x30" toroid.  I know
that with that huge cap, i will only use a small fraction of those primary
turns.  But, just how BAD is this scenario?  Im basically limited to 9kv or
so.  I do plan to eventaully (if a 5 turn primary works good for example)
make the primary from .5" copper or something bigger.  How bad will the
caps be stressed?  I have 3 strings of the geek type MMC caps, maybe 4 or 5
with the larger cap values (those nearing .1uf).  Are there any coils
similar to mine out there?  IF so, what is the typical output?  Id like 10
feet if possible.

Steve Ward

_