Re: What's around the toroid is important....

Hi Jeremy,

At 03:52 PM 5/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:

> > >Calculated Resonant Frequency: 215.24kHz
> > >Measured Resonant Frequency: 214.3kHz
> > >(The meter has a +- tolerance (1 or 2%) ... )
> >
> > It has gotten to the point that the programs and
> > calculations are more
> > accurate than most meters :-))
>
>Yes, one day, a Basic Stamp will tune coils
>in real time :) I'm desiging a coil with a motorized
>primary tap, motorized spark gap adjustment and
>motorized variac. I'm not sure if I want to use a PIC,
>basic stamp, or a cheap 486 PC to drive the
>motors/feedback system. Probably a PC since they're
>cheap and easy to program. I wrote a perl module to
>do all the calculations, the next step is getting
>real world measurments a) safely and b) analog to
>digital. Kind of like a robotic coil :)

Cool!!!

One thing to think about is how the coil's fields will be wildly picked up
on control lines and such to the PC and other remote equipment.  All those
antenna's...  You could do all kinds of fiber optic stuff or filters
everywhere...  But really, a small local shielded Basic Stamp thing may be
the best way to go just from a keep it simple noise control standpoint.  In
fact, each device may be able to have it's own little controller if you can
get them the feed back signals they need to adjust to an optimal setting
locally.  The primary tap for biggest sparks received on a small antenna,
the gap for highest firing voltage.  The variac for how lucky you feel ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry