Tuning troubles

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pomnept-at-aol-dot-com>

I am a new coiler and recently constructed a fair-sized TC. Today I turned it
on with a variac at 30% power. Although the spark gap was firing there were
no streamers, and I decided to stop at this point.
                                                            I have two
questions ; should I turn the voltage up and hope for results, and what are
the variables that I should tinker with in the tuning process. Also, what
should I look for as far as the output of the coil. ( In terms of tuning
effect.)
           Thanks in advance!
                                                    Robert Hanford