Re: Upside-down magnifier

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Dear List,
 > Referring to the transformerless TC-capacitive transformer TC hybrid, is
 > this not an "inverted" magnifier -in other words an ordinary magnifier
 > turned upside-down ie. the extra is connected between ground terminal of
 > the "secondary" (composed of L1 & L2 in series) and the top terminal
 > instead of the normal arrangement where the extra is connected between the
 > HV terminal of the secondary and the toroid.

In principle yes, as the capacitive transformer Tesla coil is a
directly coupled system with the secondary elements swapped.
But there is the problem with the part of the capacitance of the
resonator that continues going to ground instead of to the
influence ring. The design must account for it. The lumped C2 of the
magnifier built in this way is also different, because there
is no loading due to the base capacitance of the resonator.

 > Thus the HV-energised ring in the TTC-CTTC hybrid is equivalent of the
 > ground plane in a normal magnifier.

Part of it.

 > Also, doesn't the combination of the extra coil and topload capacitance to
 > the opposite terminal  basically constitute a series resonant tuned circuit
 > with the current drawn by the low-impedance "input" at resonance limited
 > solely by the dynamic impedance of circuit -predominantly the resistance of
 > the coil?

No. These things are not operating at sinusoidal steady state, and
there is no zero impedance source anywhere.

 > Therefore, wouldn't the best way of exciting the series resonant circuit in
 > theory be via a high-current, high voltage signal generator without any
 > transformer between the output stage and the tuned circuit to cause
 > addition complexity?

Yes, but try to design this driver... And with CW operation, the energy
consumption at the impedance levels of a regular capacitor-discharge
system would be huge.

 > Also, on the subject of "inverted" magnifiers and other less-conventional
 > designs -which I am interested in- has much work been done in this field?

As far as I know, just our discussions and experiments.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz