Magnifier conversion

Hi All,

I have been crunching some numbers on the computer trying to find the
"keys" in getting as much RMS voltage as possible to the top terminal.

First, I scanned values of C2:

C2(pF)	VtopRMS
0		53.094
10		53.001
20		52.900
30		52.751
40		52.068
50		52.501
60		52.400
70		52.236
80		52.079
90		51.964
.
.
.
165		50.752

So it would appear that minimizing C2 as much as possible has some
advantage a long as corona is controlled.

I then scanned for different ratios of L2 vs. L3

L2(mH)	L3(mH)		VtopRMS
2		26		53.867
3		25		53.862
4		24		53.906
5		23		53.909
6		22		53.868
8		20		53.852
10		18		53.846

So we have a hump at 5mH : 23mH.  But the real variability is
small.  Probably not a big deal.  These results are "tricky" since the
computer does not compensate for the changes in coupling.  It just couples
the same to L2 no matter what the value.

So, it is suggested that the higher RMS voltage on the top terminal is a
result of faster coupling getting the energy to the top terminal faster and
the fact that L3 is not magnetically coupled to L1.  Nothing "new" here but
things are making sense even to those of use that compute our sparks :o)))

So the following is suggested by all this.

1.  Exact values of the component are not terribly critical.  If it has a
small L2 and a big L3 you are probably close enough.

2.  Coupling between L1 and L2 should be as high as possible without corona
or arcing problems.  Probably in the 0.3 to 0.5 area.

3.  C2 capacitance should be as small as possible.

However, a conventional coil in this configuration is 53.917Vrms...  That
suggests that only the fast power transfer due to good coupling and great
quenching are an advantage...   The magnifier does nothing more than try to
have lower spark gap losses....  But really, a high coupling conventional
coil may do the same thing...  C2 seems no help and isolating the third
coil should have no advantage...

Much to ponder...

Cheers,

	Terry