Re: Magnifier conversion

Hi Antonio,

At 01:48 PM 5/3/2003 -0300, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
> > Tonight I set up a side by side model comparison of my conventional coil
> > and it's magnifier conversion:
>
> > I then set up the real coils and took the real measurements:
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-04.jpg
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-05.gif
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-06.jpg
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-07.gif
> >
> > So it looks like things are working just as expected and the models and
> > real coils are matching up very well.  It appears that the RMS power
> > between the two coils is almost identical (no quenching case).  The
> > magnifier does easily reach higher voltages however.
>
>So, lumped models still work well in these systems with resonances
>widely spaced. Did you verify what happens if you disconnect C2,
>leaving only the distributed capacitances?

I keep forgetting...  But look at this!!
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0503-02.gif

The model says I get 3% more RMS voltage this way and the actual test gives
6% more voltage!!
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0503-02.gif

So th conventional coil gives 50.54Vrms
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-05.gif

The 2,3,4 magnifier gives 49.55Vrms
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0502-07.gif

And the no C2 magnifier gives 56.01Vrms
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0503-01.gif

I wonder if rather than having a mode that gives the highest "peak
voltage", a mode that gives the highest top terminal RMS voltage is our goal??

>It remains to be verified is what happens at high power, to see if
>the decreased performance is due to losses, poor quenching, or what.

Yes,  This is all clean laboratory stuff right now.  The truth is in the
sparks ;-))  I note that the models and the real system have a little
frequency error.  I should probably go back and check the distributed
capacitances to tune things in more between the model and the scope
readings.  But the "no C2" case seems to give much better results RMS
voltage wise...  That would also match what the other magnifier builders
have often reported.

Mush to ponder...

Cheers,

         Terry