Re: Type I PVC (Grey) for high voltage use

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

A large local electric shop might have a "megger" available to do a quick
test on your material.  These machines are commonly used to test ground
circuits and provide an accurate indication of conductivity of materials.
Many of the new meggers are electronic and go up to hundreds of megOhms per
cm.  Test only takes a few seconds.

Someone on the list mentioned using PVC as a suitable material for a
hotstick.  PVC can collect surface moisture if not treated.  HV tracking
across the untreated PVC could cost you your life when discharging a
powerful cap.  I would reconsider this material or apply 3-4 coats inside
and out of Glyptal or other suitable water resistant material.  It only has
to occur once to give you a "bad day".

Dr. Resonance

Subject: Re: Type I PVC (Grey) for high voltage use